Saturday, December 08, 2007

What Bush Has Done To America

Being the sort of person I am, I always pretty much assume that if someone in government has moving lips, it means they're lying. But, until Bu$hCo, I always assumed that they were at least trying to make it LOOK like they weren't lying. The last seven years have removed even that. Steve Benen, writing at TPM, sums it up perfectly:

And speaking of not telling the truth, the White House emphasized yesterday that Bush has "no recollection" of being made aware of the tapes' destruction before Thursday, when CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden briefed the president.

Given the quality and reliability of White House denials of late, I'm inclined to assume this means the president keeps a DVD copy of the video in his desk drawer and has held multiple screenings of the interrogations in the White House screening room.

Or maybe I'm just cynical.

No comments: