Wednesday, April 29, 2009

100 Days

First, I think the whole 100 days thing is BS. That said, I'll throw my 100 cents in:

Grade: A (but not A+)

Overall, I think he's done a very good job (of course, given the previous boob for comparison, how could he not?) On the economy, the war in Iraq, the Iran situation, regulation and oversight, he's done a good to very good job. On 'visuals', how Americans 'feel' about ourselves, and how we're perceived overseas, he's done a very good job. On the Gitmo, surveillance, and state secrets front, I'd say mediocre to okay (mostly good+ on Gitmo, fair/poor on the others.)

On the bailouts/TARP/autos, I'm a little less thrilled. The financials need surgery, maybe radical surgery, and we're handing out splints and aspirin. I'm not sure what the best route is, but a little more Krugman/Steiglitz/Roubini and a little less Summers/Geithner/Bernanke would be good. At least, listen to them. Listen hard. With the autos, I'm even less thrilled (disclosure: I'm a car freak!!) Much more than the financials, the autos are the 'heart' of the country, and we've treated them like bastard stepchildren at a Baptist picnic. Apparently, contracts are only sacrosanct when made with banksters; unionistas need not apply (except for unemployment!)

All that said, I think the good outweighs the bad, and the very good is edging past the good (we're still a couple of blocks shy of being able to even see perfect!) But he seems to be (mostly) on the right track(s) and has gotten the battleship at least turning in the right direction. With a more friendly Senate (assuming Specter's change isn't all optics, that movement should get easier (AL FRANKEN! COME ON DOWN!!!) All we need to do now is hook up a hotline to Krugman and we're in business!

No comments: