Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's Official

Wow! The moment I never thought I'd see in my lifetime has arrived! We have, only a century and a half after the Civil War, a black candidate of a major party for the Presidency of these United States. Hot damn, Betty Lou!

When I was a kid, my church (probably the richest, whitest church on the planet (all the Hunts AND H. Ross Perot....)) did a lot of work with black churches in South Dallas and Oak Cliff. This is maybe a half decade after the end of whites only lunch counters, water fountains, bus seats, etc. If you'd told me then that, in my lifetime, this would happen, I'd have laughed my ass off. It's seemed less unrealistic since then, but still, very much a longshot.

Whether or not Obama wins (and please, God, let him win... I'm not sure we can survive another four years of these bozos!), today is a MAJOR day in the history of the USA. Kids today can tell their grandkids where they were when they heard the news that finally, FINALLY, some little piece of MLK's dream was realized.

(and kudos to HRC, both for the GREAT speech last night, and the classy call for acclimation today!)

No comments: