Sunday, December 02, 2007

BCS-apalooza

For the sixth week in a row, the number 1 or 2 ranked BCS team lost (both this week) which has thrown the final BCS ratings are an accident looking for a place to happen. Ohio State should be number one come tomorrow, but the remaining places are up for grabs. Georgia is currently number 4, but didn't even win its conference, so it's likely they won't be moved up to the 2 spot. LSU beat Tennessee and is probably one of the 2 or 3 best teams, and wouldn't upset anyone (except the Bulldogs) if they jumped to 2, which is what I think is most likely. USC is probably the best (at least, the hottest) team right, but their fall earlier in the season is too much to overcome, I think (as a UCLA fan-in-law I'm not allowed to want them to jump either!) Hawaii remains as the only undefeated team, having won a SPECTACULAR game against UWash tonight, that given the time it kicked off finished after most of the poll voters were sound asleep (or profoundly drunk, knowing sports writers!) :)

When, I hear the masses cry, will we get a Division 1 playoff? Not anytime soon, I reply, sadly. The powers-that-be in college football are too stupid and short-term oriented to want to switch from the current cash-cow of bowl games to a playoff system, even tho, properly marketed, the system could make them a lot of money, probably more than the current one. I do understand the fear of the Bowls that a playoff would render them moot (read, less profitable) but surely a system could be designed that used them as a part of or a feeder to a playoff. The ideal system in my mind would be a post bowl playoff system, feeding to a final game that was paired with the Superbowl; the day before, the week before, whatever.... give the Superbowl/Finals town a HUGE boost with a HUGE payoff for everyone. Probably in my lifetime, but not in my goldfish's, tho, I fear.

No comments: