Sunday, June 10, 2007

Colin Goes Off

As reported at TPM (via Politcal Animal & ThinkProgess, from msnbc), Colin Powell does NOT like Gitmo:

As Kevin Drum noted, Colin Powell's description of what should be the U.S. policy towards Guantanamo Bay was clear, concise, and right.

"If it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo. Not tomorrow, but this afternoon. I'd close it," he said.

"And I would not let any of those people go," he said. "I would simply move them to the United States and put them into our federal legal system. The concern was, well then they'll have access to lawyers, then they'll have access to writs of habeas corpus. So what? Let them. Isn't that what our system is all about?"

He added, “[E]very morning I pick up a paper and some authoritarian figure, some person somewhere, is using Guantanamo to hide their own misdeeds,” Powell said. “[W]e have shaken the belief that the world had in America’s justice system by keeping a place like Guantanamo open… We don’t need it, and it’s causing us far more damage than any good we get for it.”

Now, was that so hard?

No comments: