Thursday, May 03, 2007

Repug Debate Summary

I'm not a Republican, so I'm sort of in the position of trying to judge a gorilla beauty contest. On the whole, it wasn't as horrible as I'd expected (hoped?), but I certainly don't want any of them in the WH. I'd say Romney and Huckabee probably came off the best, or perhaps, the least unpalatable; Paul and Tancredo came of the worst- Tancredo as the loony right, and Paul as the loony libertarian right (didn't he run for Prez as a Libertarian at one point?) They all avoided any seriously controversial (from the nutjob Repug base POV) statements, with the exception of Rudy, who came out pro-life(ish....)

Of the lot, and given the dynamics of the campaign so far, I'd say Romney probably will be the nominee, IF (MAJOR IF) he can get around the whole Mormon thing. He just looks the most Presidential of the lot, and he's willing to say anything anyone wants to hear. Altho, I did find myself wondering the whole time if he was wearing his holy underwear.

UPDATE: Let me echo Kevin in his reaction to Romney. I'm not saying above that he struck me as the best of the bunch, just as the one most likely to crawl out of the mudpit.

No comments: