Friday, December 01, 2006

Reyes Gets Top Intel Cmte Post

Nancy Pelosi picked Silvestre Reyes (D-Tx) as head of the House Intel Committee earlier today. I had, being a Californian now and liking Harman generally, backed her for the post, till I started reading some of the stuff about her over the last few weeks (mostly, semi-offensive lick-spittle behavior towards anti-terror/pro-PATRIOT Act stuff) and sort of lost the urge to support.

I don't know anything about Reyes but the little mentioned in the article, but he sounds good. Let's hope this is the right move with a key slot.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

I think it's an excellent move. Harman bothers me immensely, and while it might have been wise of Pelosi to avoid the fight altogether after the Murtha troubles (and knowing, as she had to, that the media would dub it a "catfight" and leave us with the impression that two powerful women cannot work together) but Harman is no favorite of mine. Alcee Hastings was obviously a disaster in waiting. The CBC might be mad, but the Hispanics deserve a Chairmanship too.

But I think the best choice would have been Sanford Bishop (who I believe left the committee altogether when Harman took his spot as ranking member) -- he's an extraordinary voice for civil liberties, as smart and able as Harman (you have to give her those two accolades) and a black congressman to boot.