Wednesday, October 12, 2005

America and the World

The other day, I was reading a blog entry on Huffington Post (I'm sorry, I dont remember whose). The author was discussing a cross country train trip he and his wife had taken recenty. Fighting of waves of jealousy, I read with interest his recounting of talking to various people in the heartland of the country and how many of them did not, could not understand why America is disliked by much of the rest of the world.

Let me state first that I am proud to be an American. I'm not always proud of what America or Americans do, but I'm always proud of being an American. To me, there is only one 'holy' document and that's the Constitution (I said holy, not perfect ;)) I think, in many ways, we are, or at least, were 'the Shining City on the Hill' of which Reagan spoke. If we can get out the current lot of hacks and crooks that are running the place, perhaps we can shine again.

Anyway, back to my point. I think it's possible to explain why much of the world is 'anti-American' in simple terms almost any American relate to: high school.

Pretend the world is one giant high school... Terran Unified H.S. Every country (and by default their citizens) are students at this school.

One of the students is the All Star Quarterback. He's also good looking, VERY rich, and VERY VERY strong. He's not very bright, as perceived by some of the more worldly students, who have more experience in dealing with the outside world.

Now, because of his status, he's the leader of the pack. Some hang out with him cuz they like him, some to have some of his status and success rub off on them, some because they're afraid of what he might do if they're not his friend.

If he's a kind, helpful person, using his status, strength and position to help others, people will genuinely like him and want to be like him. This is the view most Americans have of America.

However, if he's a bully, using threats or actual violence to get his way, encouraging others to be bullies to do his dirty work, throwing snit fits when he doesnt get his way, and just generally throwing his weight around and flaunting his wealth and power, then people will be afraid of him, either avoid him or suck up to him (dont blush, Tony B.), and for the most part hate him and in some cases actively work to bring him down.

THAT is the way most of the world sees us.

And THAT is why they dislike us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

No comments: